Tuesday, August 4, 2009 | By: Jenna

What DOES it sound like?


I haven't blogged in a while... Probably because I haven't read in a while. Usually when I'm not reading, I'm not getting much motivation to write... Yeah, that makes sense. But I have been writing songs lately... I find that life in general motivates me to write songs. More specifically, life as I encounter it in other living people motivates me to write songs.... I write a song when I see a homeless man digging through the trash for food. I write a song when I find a girl too afraid of her past to move forward. I write a song when I hear about prostitution... and then meet its oppressed firsthand. Or, I write a song when I meet Jesus again firsthand... and when He makes Himself known through the life of a friend.

I write joyful songs... though some may seem less "happy" than others.
I write hopeful songs. All songs should have a glimmer of hope in them...

I write songs full of thought... because my own life is saturated with it. And if the songs I write don't provoke others to think too, then I don't know what the heck I'm doing here...

Sometimes I struggle with finding the right words (There are so many words in our world). But God refines those as He refines me more with His... So I don't worry very much about lyrics. I think about them and revisit them and pick and choose and change them with purpose... but I am rarely anxious over them.

Melodies, however, are a different story. Melodies... I need to hear. I don't know what else to say about melodies right now, other than- there must be a million of them in heaven... If I could just hear the melodies of heaven...

"Whatever the angels are singing..."

...Sometimes I dare ask God to let me sing "whatever the angels singing..."


This is a little bit of why I haven't read in awhile, I suppose...
I've been preoccupied with trying to hear heaven.

4 comments:

Andrew Ratiani said...

hecks yes, first comment!

okay, so i love this. i love your songs jenna. but more so i love that you are inspired by other people. i feel like we are supposed to care about others( i say that because we are the church, which is all about other people. like a community...)
and thus the fact you write songs that are inspired by others is way cool.
um, i guess i'm just trying to be encouraging, but i ran out of eloquent wording. so keep it up.

oh, and the singing what the angels are singing part., AMAZING.

Rebecca Gafner said...

that. was. beautiful. I want the first copy of the book you write someday...after the CD you put out, of course ;)

Aubrey Raper said...

can i get the second copy of the book? :)

i just love you....so so much.

"rocurtie" and "goadrles"

Nolan T. Burns said...

coming soon Jenna Barney's debut record!!!! yes please?