Monday, April 25, 2011 | By: Jenna

A habit I had (have)

My mom used to (and still does) tell me not to pick at my face. I tried to (and still try to) listen, but I have this habit... and this habit is hard to get rid of. Sorry for the un-lady like subject of this analogy (yes, this is going to be an analogy), but I've recently learned this habit mirrors something else I do way too subconsciously. In the same way that I look in the mirror for flaws on my face, I also look at my entire being for flaws I can pick at (and pick at and pick at...), as if they will be gone once I get every single one of them. This sounds like a good practice of self-awareness to someone who grew up in a culture where "self-awareness" and condemnation were all too similar. And even though I can distinguish the two now, it's still hard, sometimes, to feel the difference. So here's where the self-awareness line blurs and the picking goes too far...

Have you ever tried to get a zit that wasn't ready? Or one that would have been fine and left on it's own if you would have let it and left it alone?

The only thing left when you try too hard is more redness and irritation and noticeable scares.

So I'm trying to learn to see one thing at a time...
I'm trying to live out: "Picking too much doesn't make anything right."

This is what gets me, though. Picking actually makes my face dirtier - always trying to get the marks off. And if I would only wash it... Ha, if I would only wash my face every time I felt the urge to force something away... but the picking takes the place of washing, and the washing is too slow anyway...


And what's the point of all this? Here you go.

I need to be patient with myself instead of forcing all the "marks" away. I need to remember the things that HELP in the long run--- though the long run is exactly that.
I want to be aware of when I'm being self-aware or just condemning myself.
Because when I'm constantly, subconsciously, religiously instigating me... my flaw is being magnified. And my problem is actually growing.

6 comments:

Danae said...

iLike this :) Also, your updated layout for your blog is great. I miss reading your constant thoughts! keep writing!! :) love you!

Nikki said...

wow girl! that is awesome!

Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love the way you think and grow babe.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I very much empathize. Far too often I'm my harshest critic which only tends to leave me less loving, forgiving, and free to enjoy myself in the present moment just as I am, warts and all. GREAT post.

royal said...

Hi,
We have an site in which you can Bid and win best deals on online auction by bidding online at pujaclic.es Penny.

Thanks for sharing!
Online Penny Auctions