Sunday, June 28, 2009 | By: Jenna

They're going to get "cultured"



My sisters are going to Europe today. One called me at 7 this morning, probably thinking, "Jenna will definitely be awake..."
I wasn't. I didn't have to be at church until 10 this morning, and I'm semi-depressed that some of my friends aren't here anymore, so my body must've thought sleeping later this morning would be a good idea...

But at 7, Joanna called me:

"Helloooo?" I mumbled, trying a higher pitch than normal (to get my voice above the raspy-ness...)

"Oh my gosh, did I WAKE YOU UP???"

"Maaaaybe... but it's ok... you're leaving today right?"

"JENNA! I'm so sorry... I didn't think you'd be asleep still!! We thought for sure--"

"Jo, it's ok, really. I'm glad you called. I was wondering when you'd be taking off."

"Well, I'm sorry anyway... You sound tired... or dead..." (Don't worry--I was tired.)

So I sat up, grasping at any of the energy coming to me...

"Hey! You're going to Europe!!!" --THERE it was-- "Have fun! But how the heck am I supposed to talk to you when you're in Europe?!!"

"Email! Email me, ok? And I'll miss you. And I love you. Ok... now mom wants to talk to you..."

...And so, the phone went around. Jo, then my mom, then Janelle, then back to Jo again (it was her phone afterall).

Mom said she that loves me. She'll miss me. She'll buy me something. The usual...
I told her I love her too, that I'll miss her, and that I don't care what she gets me from Europe... but when she gets back, I might want her to mail me a couple things I left during my last visit home...
Don't worry, I told her I love her again after that. And that I'll pay for postage.

Then Janelle told me she was going to "get cultured." I thought for a minute how funny that sounds and was going to make a joke about her maybe having strep throat... but decided there was no time for nonsenses. I told her I think she's going to make a great European tourist, and that when I email them, she doesn't have to email me back. She'll be emailing her boyfriend and other friends, I'm sure, so I said that I would just update her on stupid things about my life and she could type a one word response if she wants--something like "word" or "cool."

Janelle's a sweet girl, so she said I was dumb and that of course she'll email me back.. "at least three words..."

Three words from my sister in Europe sounds more than wonderful to me... I told her I'd take it!

The phone went back to Jo, and she said, "Sorry I woke you up, Jenna..."
I told her it was fine...again.
I said, "I'm glad you called..." [we repeat stuff in my family]

I suddenly remembered something--

"Oh and Shmo..." ("Shmo" is short for "Jo Shmo"...which isn't short for anything... just a funny thing to call her)

"Yeah?"

"That mix you made me is awesome! My friends love it--especially the first song. I made mixes for them and gave them a bunch of your songs."

"Aw! That's so cool, Jenna! I mean... I am cool... so, yeah, duh... that's fine I guess... Haha."

"Ok, have fun in Europe. Keep mom and Janelle safe."

"I will cause I'm SOOO buff..... Thanks Jenna, I'll call you when we get back."

"Ok. I love you..."

"...love you.."

"Bye."

"Bye."


And they're probably halfway there by now.

I DO hope Janelle emails at least three words... And I hope my mom doesn't stress over what to get me from Europe... but pays attention to their maps and hotel plans and Sound of Music tour arrangements...
I hope Janelle gets "cultured" with "teas, and music, and mountains, and vespas" like she imagines... I hope Joanna is as buff as she thinks she is (or, that God keeps them safe...)

And I AM glad she called me at 7 this morning. I love that they get a European adventure.

I'm going to set my alarm on July 28th... and drink a lot of coffee while I wait to talk with them again.

2 comments:

the novitiate said...

i love you and miss you, friend!
and i was so entertained by the craftsmanship with which you told this story... :)
it reminds me a little of dan in real life, actually...
hmm...ya, when i get back to school we should have a movie night and watch it. this time i won't be falling apart, i promise!

hmmm....miss you.....

your friend c.n.

Anna {ramblyblog.com} said...

You're adorable.
AND a great story teller...
I feel like I just eavesdropped on your phone convo...and it was wonderful :) Sending much love and blessing and growth in Christ to you this summer!!