Wednesday, July 1, 2009 | By: Jenna

The Land of "Why?"


On Sunday, Dan spoke about how God has chosen you to be an instrument for a specific purpose--how God redeems your story, and how your story makes you the perfect one for a certain job. I've never thought I was perfect for anything. I've just always thought I'll "do."

I did always want to be perfect. But I've never thought I made it there. That's no surprise... I was wanting the wrong thing anyway...

I've asked "Why?" to God a lot. And I always have regrets and wishes. There are things I've done that I don't understand... and things I never did that I hoped wouldn't haunt me later. But they do... I am haunted by my mistakes sometimes.

Dan continued talking. He talked about the land of "Why?" He said, "We all live in the land of 'Why?'...but God's redeeming all things, He's making all things new! God wants to change those parts of you that are so broken, that you think are beyond repair, that you thought could never be different, and He wants to use your testimony--the hardest, darkest, most painful places of it--to minister to others and help someone who may be going through something similar." He said, "You have a story that makes you effective in certain situations...and you will just connect with certain people because of it." And then he asked us, "Do you ever have those moments when you see a situation and realize, 'I am the chosen instrument for this moment' ?"

...It was this part of the message that made me lean forward in my chair a little more...

"Now, I want you to hear this," Dan continued, "Because this is what God has been speaking so clearly to me."
What? What is it??
There are some things that just get my full attention.

"When God calls me to something sometimes, I have those 'Yeah, buts', ya know? It's like, 'Yeah, but God, I'm a [fill in the blank]' It could be, 'But, God, I'm a coward' or 'God, I'm not eloquent in this' or 'God, I'm still broken' or 'But, there's that other thing...' or 'Yeah, but God, I'm such a mess...' We all have those 'Yeah, buts'... But then GOD answers and says, 'Perfect. I can still use you.' Or, He doesn't even let me finish...

I say, 'Yeah, but God, I'm a-'
'PERFECT,' He says, 'I can use that...' He looks at me, and He says, 'I can use you. I want to use you.'

Dan: 'But, I'm a-'
God: 'PERFECT. You're exactly what I want for this.'

...And then I realize that God has seen a situation and said, 'Dan would be PERFECT for this...
I HAVE to have a Dan for this one!'"

That last sentence would probably make more sense with Dan's analogy of the different-guitars-for-different-musical-purposes behind it... but you can download the podcast if you want the whole message.

For now, I just have a song that I thought was PERFECT for this blog...
It came onto my iPod at the gym this morning... my iPod nano, which isn't as "upgraded" as my iPod touch...probably not as elegant or complex or sleek-looking... it's not a 'clean' black--it's a tarnished green... and it's pretty beat up from years of being banged up against random trees and treadmills...but it's perfect for my morning jogs, and I wouldn't use any other...

Maybe it (if "its" could ask...) doesn't know "Why?" I'm using it rather than my iPod touch.... but I do.


I AM by Ginny Owens

No Lord, he said, you've got the wrong guy.
Simple conversation gets me tongue-tied.
And you're telling me to speak with a maniac king.
Or could it be I've lost my mind?
And besides, I am weak, don't you want someone strong,
To lead them out of Egypt when they've been there so long?
And anyway, they wont believe You ever spoke to me.
That's not your problem, God replied.
And the rest is history.

There's a bigger picture you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
'Cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you I will show them, I Am.

Now Lord, are you sure? He's just a shepherd boy,
Too small for battle gear with a giant to destroy.
What on earth can he do with five stones and a sling?
That's not your problem, God replied.
'Cause I can do anything.

There's a bigger picture you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
'Cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you, I will show them,
I Am the first, I Am the last,
I Am the present and the past,
I Am tomorrow and today,
I Am the only way.

Great Lord, she said, I'm just a simple girl.
You say that I will bring your son into the world.
How can I understand this thing You're gonna do?
That's not your problem, God replied.

'Cause, there's a bigger picture,
And you don't have to change the world.
I'm your creator, I am working out my plan.
And through you, I will show them,
There's a bigger picture, you can't see.
You don't have to change the world, just trust in me.
I'm your creator, I am working out my plan,
And through you, I will show them, I Am



Moses, David, and Mary the mother of Jesus are three Bible characters that I have always been inspired by...
They weren't perfect. They had regrets. They were afraid and crawled to Him, honest about it. But, eventually, they were willing and didn't ask "Why?" as much anymore--though if they looked back and reflected, I'm sure certain things would have suddenly become clear...

I'm sure they could see some incredible answers to that question in their stories. What encouraging things those would be to look back and see. We get see those things, now, and we realize that God is a MASTER story-teller...

And He is STILL using their stories today...

2 comments:

Danae said...

yeah. yeah yeah. :) so good. love the ginny owens song...obviously. ;) praise Jesus.

Aubrey Raper said...

mmm mmm mmm. :)
i love it. PERFECT. He can use this.