Thursday, March 5, 2009 | By: Jenna

Oh Jonah...


I wrote a song while I was sick called "Jonah." Oh Jonah... How very much I have been learning from this man! I feel bad for the guy, though, and the bad rap he's always gotten in Sunday school... the guy who didn't obey God... the guy who so foolishly tried to run away from God... the guy who caused a storm and finally got thrown overboard... the guy who Moby Dick threw up...then who preached...and hated that it worked! Then who lost his shade-providing-vine to a God-provided worm...

This poor guy- I was thinking about his story today, and I thought, "I bet Jonah changed a lot later on in his life. We just don't hear about it because, well, usually people only remember and tell about your faults." But his is a story we learn from, nonetheless, and I am learning a lot.

I do think that God was so patient with Jonah, despite the CRAZY catastrophes that pile up against him. He let Jonah run, but He did not relent His love. He let Jonah hide, but He sought out that "lost coin" of a man as if Jonah were the only option for sending. And He let Jonah sleep, but He shook him awake with "a bump in the night." Then a big fish swallowed Jonah. Then he cried out to God.

And even after getting spit out onto dry land, Jonah still had his tiff with God... for, what a merciful God Jonah knew him to be...

God's grace and compassion meant that Jonah would finally obey and spread some news to Ninevah. And those Ninevites would repent to receive God's grace and compassion themselves. "Slow to anger, abounding in love."--Jonah knew this to be true of his God... he knew it because he had experienced it himself.

And he's STILL resenting God's forgiveness of them??!

Oh Jonah...don't you remember that you "once were far away" too? Don't you remember how, like the rest, you "were by nature an object of wrath"?? But, "because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy" didn't relent, sought you out, woke you up, swallowed you, released you, called you again, and used you... Oh Jonah...
...Do you really still think it is only something He does for you???

Or can you hear God's whisper in your ear--"By the gift of grace given you through the working of My power"...this grace given to you "to preach to the Gentiles." Oh Jonah, by the power of all the unimagineable things God has done for you, "make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things." Because, is it not His intent that, now, through you, "the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities"???
And isn't it so that you "may approach God with freedom and confidence"???
(Paul writes this stuff in Ephesians 2)

But, Jonah, "it wasn't because of what you have done." Can you hear Him whispering?
"Left to yourself, you would have run farther than the furthest of these..."

Oh Jonah, God has SAVED you from your own imploding nature! And what's more--He has brought out your hatred of those who so readily accept that same Love! When will you learn to share in God's love for...
God's love for you--God's love for them...
When will you learn to share... God's heart?


Ah...but Jonah's not a "bad" guy... he's just a little afraid and a little jealous...

And we all have a little Jonah in us...

In fact, some of us...most of us... ARE Jonah.

Well, for those of you who identify... here's the song I wrote while I was sick... I sang it at the Stirring on Sunday... And I'll be singing it again tomorrow night at Erase the Dark...
...in case you want to hear what might sound like something God whispers to us Jonahs...

Oh Jonah...
This one's for you.

"Jonah"
You've been looking for a sign-
Is your life divine?
Don't ignore all the little things
That I've shown you about my dreams.

Don't run away,
I'm trying to wake you.
Don't be afraid,
My love will always take you...

...And it will make your heart like mine
...like mine.

You say that it couldn't be me.
How could I want so many people free?
Oh but come touch my hands-
It's all a part of my love plan.

So don't run away,
I'm trying to wake you.
Don't be afraid,
My love will always take you...

...And it will make your heart like mine
...like mine.

And you're still too scared to smile-
Hiding treasures just like a little child.
But it's time that you grow
Into all the good that I know.

But don't run away,
I've been trying to wake you.
Don't be afraid,
My love will always take you...

...And it will make your heart like mine,
Oh it will make your heart like mine,
Yes it will make your heart like mine...

...like mine.

2 comments:

Aubrey Raper said...

The book of Jonah is my new favorite book of the Bible.

Jenna Barney, I think you know how much I have been blessed by the story of Jonah, how much I can relate, how much I want to be free...

My favorite part of the song:
"...And you're still too scared to smile-
Hiding treasures just like a little child.
But it's time that you grow
Into all the good that I know..."

It's time. :)




PS: the word I just got is "tuteral". Thought you'd enjoy that :)

Wendy said...

Jenna Barney...I just simply don't have words for how wonderful I think you are...and how incredible I think your mind AND heart are...both so in tune with the Lord...His mind and His heart...and I am so thankful that you are alive at the very same time as me...because you stretch me in ways that no one else does...and bless me in ways that no one else can. You are so very special...unique...one of a kind...in so many wonderful ways. Thank you for pursuing the Lord...and for sharing your journey with those around you...such a blessing and privilege to know you :)