Monday, May 18, 2009 | By: Jenna

I have hair!


There are some days when I am very aware of my hair. Not in the sense that I know what it looks like, but in the sense that I have it. Like today: I was walking with God on a path today, and my hair fell to the sides of my face as the wind pushed it slightly forward. Normally, I might just get a piece of it stuck in my mouth as I try flinging it back into place, annoyed and cursing my unkempt mane under the hot sun... But today, it just appeared so un-intrusively in my peripherals that the only thing going through my mind was, "I have hair..." It was then that either the cool breeze or my hair itself brushed over my ears... "And its pretty," I almost audibly heard. I think maybe it was God, but I don't want to put words into His mouth.

At any rate, I have been hearing His voice dance across the path all afternoon... Even as I sit by the pond writing this, He is not being silent to me. There aren't many words, but in the cattail-rustling, pond-splashing, and bird-chirping all around, He is not being silent...

And just like I am aware of my hair today, it hits me that I am aware of His presence with me also... not in the sense that I know what He looks like, but in the sense that I have Him...

He is just there--like my hair is just there. He is on me like the soft strands that fall and brush my cheeks--made known to my senses by the wind that gently moves them. And I have done nothing to acquire this covering--this crown that, were it actually made of gold and diamonds, would be too harsh. Instead, it is simply from dust that it was made, and to dust that it shall return... yet it is the LIFE that God has breathed into this dust that captures the breeze and the sounds and the rhythm of my life, like a true crown should. And it is just there--like God is just there--on me, covering me, growing without any command of my own... for I have done nothing to deserve my hair. Just like I have done nothing to deserve His presence... There are some days when I am very aware of that.

Like today...
Today, I am just very aware of my hair--and of His presence.

I am grateful for both of them.

5 comments:

Andrew Ratiani said...

jenna, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the most inspiriational blog i have ever read ( just don't tell my brother since i've read like 600 of his) i loved the line about him dancing across the path. and the whole " i have him" part was amazing.
thank you. for writing blogs in general, but especially for this one.
its so cool to see someone who actually takes a sabath and rests in God. and then writes a blog so i can see what happened.

rev rock said...

I think hair is over rated :) But I'm very aware of my eyebrows! I think it's like a blind person that has a crazy sense of smell.
I'm fully aware that I never post on your blog and the first time I do it's sarcastic so I apologize. Just wanted you to know that I'm reading and I'm so encouraged by you and your life. I love to see what God is doing in your life!

Rebecca Gafner said...

that was beautiful

Aubrey Raper said...

it's still beautiful...so are you.
and i agree with andrew.

Danae said...

mmm. I love God-moments,...God-LIFE, like this. Amazing. Praising Him with you, Jenna Loo!! And you do have beautiful hair. Jesus totally thinks so...:)