Tuesday, October 14, 2008 | By: Jenna

Breakfast club is incredible.

Ah Tuesday again... which means another breakfast club has come and gone. Breakfast club is incredible. I love it. It's part of the reason why I love Tuesdays (we've been through this). The girls, the coffee, the oatmeal, the Deja Vu... all incredible. (I'm not super picky about my coffee, so yes, I mean that). But there is one thing to note about this particular breakfast club... the one of "TODAY." If I was much of a journal...er..(ist?)..(whatever), I'd probably write about this one in there. I'd have the date up in the right-hand corner, and the time (I like to note time). And I'd probably start it out with a sentence like: "Today was different," or "Today was weird." And my journal would be flapping with anticipation--"WHY?! WHY?! Tell me! TELL ME..." And I'd continue writing. But then I'd realize--"my journal can't ask questions... or be anticipatory..." so I'd stop writing to my journal... and I'd start blogging...

People read blogs.
This is one about breakfast club today...






Today was different. Today was weird. There were no bright-eyes or bushy-bangs for me this morning, there was no quick wit or sly, AWESOME jokes (ok, ok, so maybe the bushy-bangs were still there, my bangs are always kinda bushy...)
No. Today I was tired.

I took my normal seat next to my usually-tired Sarah, but there was nothing normal or usual about what happened when I got there this particular morning... I was tired.

Head down--on the table--"Is Jenna sleeping??" I heard it and pulled myself back to the present.
"Ah! I don't know what's the matter with me this morning!!" I responded with desperation... (ya know...that kind of desperation that breeds half-cries, half-laughs...all whine...) Blank stares from the table--a few giggles--like anyone else knew what the matter was either. My outbursts are humorous sometimes.

Let me explain if you're not catching onto the drama here:
I'm a morning person. And I'm definitely a Tuesday morning person. I'm definitely NOT tired at breakfast club. I mean, someone has to keep those "sleepy-sleepersons" going... ;) (jk you guys). I'm usually watching the clock from the elliptical machine thinking "I bet Kristena is hating wake-up time right now... hehehehe..." I'm usually trying to not offend the quiet section of our breakfast table with all my crazy, pointless fun facts from the anthropology chapter I'm reading. In the beginning, it's usually pretty quiet at our table. I'm usually trying to get a chuckle or two out of my neighboring seats....
But not today... Today, there were laughs ringing out from all sections of the table!!! All sections... but my sad little sleepy middle section... What the heck???

"Have some coffee Jenna..." God bless Danielle Kettle. She always knows just what I need.

So I drank some of Sarah's coffee--no splenda. But I think it helped a little... and by the end of our time together, we were all talking about greed, and our pasts, and our mindsets now because of our pasts, and our mindsets now because of our church... I love our church! And finally I was awake! Pink Elephant time!

Two parables: The one about ten virgins and the one about the money loaned to the servants. Yeah, that's right, I read them both. One right after the other... (the coffee was working). Thanks Danielle. Thanks Sarah. Thanks Meghan... (Meghan had to sit by me the whole time... and I used her Bible... thanks Meghan)

But I can't attribute ALL of my waked-up-ed-ness (thanks dashes) to coffee alone. Talking about Jesus helps too. Reading His parables wakes me up pretty well. I love stories, and I love to learn, and I love to learn by hearing stories told by people that I love (and I love Jesus), so parables and I... we get along...

Anyway, I read those two parables and then we started talking about them, and honest-to-goodness, I CANNOT shut my mouth when I want to... I wished I hadn't had so much coffee... and now my knee is bouncing up and down (it's what I do) and I kinda want more coffee..... Greed.

Haha, but breakfast club is incredible. I don't mind rambling there. The other girls don't seem to mind much either. Or maybe they were tired too... yeah, me being tired at breakfast club...(?!?!)
...that was WEIRD.

3 comments:

Emily Branca said...

oh how i love you. and i even love you when you are tired at breakfast club. i'm ALWAYS grouchy at breakfast club. that's a given. until i've had my 3 cups of coffee, i'm a total grouch. like oscar the grouch, minus the whole garbage-can-dwelling thing... it was odd that you were not full of your normal charisma this morning, but i love you all the same. do you still love me even though i'm a grouch in the morning??

KalynRebecca said...

I like your rambling. i missed it this morning :/

and Emily- i just heard on the radio that tomorrow is national grouch day. no joke.

Sarah said...

ah my beautiful morning Jenna..I'm glad that you finally did wake up so you could ramble and speak for us grouchy night people sitting on the quiet side of the table:) I'm sorry that you've been so tired though..it's probably my fault..keeping you up at night-haha...love you!!!
ps. thanks for the french toast