Wednesday, October 15, 2008 | By: Jenna

I have these dreams...

Sometimes I have these dreams...
They're not super crazy, or too lofty... but they are a bit idealistic.... and I wonder if they could ever really happen.

They're usually about the world--about social justice issues, about international relations, about advocating for the voiceless, about freedom for the oppressed...

I'm writing a political science paper right now. I love that class. I love that even when I don't want to go (I have it at 3 in the afternoon, and I'm not a huge fan of afternoons) I end up getting our whole class into a discussion about welfare, or communism, or ideological motives and our Machiavellian tendencies by the end of the period. I always think it's gonna be so boring... It's usually not.

In fact, the best part about it:
I get to think about my dreams. I get to wrestle through them.
Sometimes I wonder if that shouldn't be the whole point to education in the first place... to wrestle through your dreams... To figure out how reality meets your visions...how your visions could become reality... It would be cool if these dreams became reality.

But I don't want my dreams to be my dreams. I only want my dreams if they are also God's. I think we did a series at the Stirring about that a while ago--"When God Dreams" or something like that. Well, I'm convinced that His dreams have a lot to do with "freedom for the prisoners," as Isaiah and Jesus both proclaimed. And it seems like a lot of my dreams have to do with the same thing.

So. Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday I've been thinking about those dreams. I've been thinking about them ideally... and I've been thinking about them realistically...
They have a lot to do with politics--more than I ever thought any dreams of mine would. And they have a lot to do with other countries--more than I ever thought I would let them... (sometimes MKs have bitter, rebellious streaks ;)

But most importantly, they have a lot to do with speaking up for those who cannot speak up for themselves--with standing up for those who have constantly been crushed. I want to be a voice for the voiceless. And I want to usher in God's dream of healing for the broken. I don't know if I'll ever see a whole country reach restoration after political devestation... or if we'll ever get all the prostitutes out of the brothels...out of the system...out of their prisons...
I don't know if I'll still be alive when Cambodian fathers begin teaching their sons to care for their families again...or if I'll ever watch American women demonstrate to each other what real beauty is or where it comes from. I don't know if I'll ever be the kind of advocate OR influence in the political and social spheres that I've had thoughts about.

I do know God's Kingdom is coming, though, and that Jesus tells us to pray for it. I know that I've seen parts of it here and there...and that even the smallest of healings is healing nonetheless...

Sometimes I have these dreams...
They're not super crazy, or too lofty.

In fact, I think they could be pretty darn realistic...

...depending on how you look at it.

2 comments:

nathan said...

when God dreams, He dreams through His children ... Jenna, you're a dreamer ... never stop dreaming ... I'm convinced that God raises up dreamers to lead His people ... I see that in your life ...

katie said...

jenna i love the fact that you're such a dreamer but you're so logical. haha you're probably the only person i've met like you and i love that! keep dreaming love, He's working through you. i can see that and i know others can too.