Friday, January 16, 2009 | By: Jenna

It's official...


...When they say "Attention, WalMart shoppers--" over the loud speaker, they are talking to me. Yup--it's official.

If you live in a dorm, and you go to a prestigious school such as Simpson University, then you might not have the 21-meal/week plan, because you might have realized that you don't really eat 21 meals per week in the cafeteria. You might be on the 14-meal/week plan, because you might not have any food allergies or a no dairy/no meat/no animal whatsoever/no flour/no cauliflower/no chocolate kind of religious restriction or medical condition--and unless you fall into one of those categories, if you live in the dorm, you have to be on the meal plan...

So, I am on the meal plan. Fourteen meals per week. Which means, I save that tiny bit of extra money (21 to 14 meals isn't exactly a huge difference in cost), but I put it towards cereal, milk, and energy bars from WalMart. The extra mullah is good for some other necessities, and WalMart also carries those--deoderant, dish soap, toothpaste, and things only girls need--for cheap. In all my secret jests and ignorant eye-rolls, I picked up that shopping technique from my mom and Becky Weber. And I see it's importance now...

When you're trying to put money towards other things and trying to figure out how to live a little more simply... "Attention WalMart shoppers--" is not a bad thing to hear at all...


So this morning, I was like, "Yes?????"

4 comments:

Sarah said...

ugh walmart....target is soooo much better..but walmart is significantly cheaper so unfortunately I find myself there more than I'd like to be:)
I liken Walmart to Winco..I'm starting to convulse just thinking about it;)

Jenna said...

Ew... i'm adding that to the list of words i don't like... "convulse"... you should definitely think about something else then

nathan said...

we're Winco people ... we fit right in ... we're tired ... we're grumpy ... our kids are screaming and yelling the whole time ... we buy more groceries than we can afford ... it's great ... long live Winco (and Walmart) ...

Jessica said...

ok... I feel totally ghetto for even suggesting this, and as you read it, bear in mind that I will choose target over Wal-Mart 90% of the time and I'm not a hige Winco fan (what's with the cheap "W" stores anyway??)
BUT (brace yourself for the ghetto-ness) you should totally try grocery outlet sometime. I bought a $10 bottle of shampoo for something like $3, and last week they had Naked brand juice (usually over $3 for a little bottle) on sale for a buck a piece. They have the most random stuff... But so worth the trip... I saved more than I spent.
There's my plug for The rainbow mart... I officially feel ultra ghetto.