Tuesday, January 27, 2009 | By: Jenna

Settlers of Catan



Have you ever played the board game Settlers of Catan? It's incredibly addicting. I got the game for Christmas because I learned how to play it at Stacy's house this past summer and had been dreaming about it ever since. When I opened the beautiful red-framed box with the dirt-road and sunset-on-the-horizon scene so enticingly backgrounding the title, I almost canceled the rest of Christmas gift-opening so we could all play it as a family for hours and hours. Then my sisters said, "no." So I kept it on my lap and read the instructions 3 times instead... I still don't think I know how to play it right... the rules seem different every time...

But that only means I need more practice! Yes, I have decided I need more practice at this settlement establishing, road building, opponent persuading, strategic purchasing extravaganza! It is so much more than a game... I'm convinced that if I was ever stranded on Catan and needed to excavate iron ore from the "6" appointed hex, I would know exactly in which direction to point my road and exactly how much wool I'd have to store before making the trade of all trades and exposing my ten victory points for the winning power they hold!! No need to worry though...
I would be a kind and benevolent ruler...
This game has taught me much about benevolence...

Ah...so much more than a game... a peek into the life of the Catanians of old... a reminder that not every resource is free and that, sometimes, you gotta sacrifice the one that may seem more beneficial at the moment for the one that is more rare and valuable to the finishing turn...


So...... Who wants to play???

(I'm actually not good at all. It'll be really funny.)


P.S. Erase the Dark is March 6th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark your calendars!

6 comments:

Bryan said...

i wanna play...

Emily Branca said...

what IS IT with this game? i think it made like 6 blogs today alone. maybe you'll have to teach me.. as soon as you read the twilight series... ha, fat chance, i know!

Sarah said...

ooo I like that deal...

Jenna said...

I do NOT like that deal...

oh man... it gave me the shivers thinking about it...

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danae said...

Pick me! Pick me! ...good blog Jenna :)