Wednesday, December 17, 2008 | By: Jenna

Christmas Tree on my Thules...



It's that time of year. I traded in my kayak for a Douglas Fir...
9:30am, Dad and I went down to Coarsegold Nursey and Feed...we picked a beauty. Strapped onto my jeep--tied to the Thule racks--Douglas came home with us.



We weren't sure why it was so crooked at first... but you have to be pretty dang clever with that tree holder...

Now, I'm sitting by the fire in my living room thinking, my dad and I are good tree pickers. My job is to put lights on the tree...every year...whether I want to or not. My family's in luck this year--I want to. Which means I have a better attitude about it. Which means, pleasant, peaceful decorating times and no half-lit, wholly-despised Christmas tree sitting in our living room until tomorrow morning. Good stuff.

I did remember why I normally quit halfway through...as I was circling the tree with lights in my left hand, branches in my right, and pine needles between my teeth. I think putting the tree in a corner is my dad's idea of...funny. This year, though, I made it through the wilderness...(you know) I made it through...


The angel...on top of the tree...don't know if she'll make it. Her neck's a little cramped. Our tree is kinda tall...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

so fun! it is a beauty, good job!
although watching you get frustrated while hanging lights...priceless...would be so funny....;)

love you..miss you:)

Slamdunk said...

Funny post Jenna--it reminds me of our family's annual tree round-up at grandpas house. It is always bitterly cold and we spend way too long picking the perfect one.

We used to strap the largest tree possible atop Grandpa's Lincoln, and pray that we made it up and down the hills to his house without loosing our load, but now he has a truck with a trailer. It has sort of reduced the thrill associated with getting a tree, but eating pine needles and getting tangled in the lights remains tradition...

Ashley said...

Wow, you have created a perfect Christmas feeling.