Monday, December 29, 2008 | By: Jenna

More than socks and underwear...

When you ask my mom for some "good books" for Christmas, she'll hand you a catalog and tell you to circle examples. Then, on Christmas morning when you open your gifts, you will open boxes and boxes of books all by the same author of the one or two books you circled in the catalog. This year, I circled a book by Ravi Zacharias. Christmas morning, I got five.


I am, of course, grateful. There is a stack of other amazing books on my desk as I type. Simply Christian, Simple Church, (Quite fitting for this past series at the Stirring), also, Sex God, Jesus Wants to Save Christians, Kingdom of the Occult, Knowledge of the Holy, and Prayer (by Yancey)--these were my Christmas presents this year. These, and underwear and socks and Amazing Grace. Amazing Grace is a thought provoking movie about the story of William Wilberforce and his fight against the British slave trade, which sealed in my mind the thought that human trafficking can be fought. This is not a thought about bringing it all down single-handedly...but I don't think I should just sit by and accept it... I don't think we should just sit by and let it be the way it is now...


Christmas, Ravi, Amazing Grace...and a move against human trafficking. I'm excited to start the new year.

When you ask my mom for some "good books" for Christmas, you'll get A LOT of them... You'll get more than socks and underwear.

4 comments:

hannahrae said...

I haven't seen Amazing Grace...can we watch it when you come home?!

Jenna said...

Absolutely! Want to do it on the first Friday? On our first Foo Foo Friday of the new year (Jan. 9)???!!! After we get our foo foo drinks?!

Sarah said...

hmm lots of books!....you, Jenna have so many books in your must read pile..but I know you'll read them..someday:)

I also haven't seen Amazing Grace...hmmm we have some movie watching to do when we get back..I also need to watch that one I gave you...what was it again?:)

Rick Mazaira said...

I have those books~ Mom chose well. Hope you had a great Christmas Jloo. See you soon.