Friday, December 5, 2008 | By: Jenna

Someone stop me...

...from listening to songs that make me think so much. I was listening to Derek Webb the other day (if you don't listen to Derek Webb, you should--he'll challenge you--it'll probably be good for you).

Mockingbird. So good.

This line in particular has me glued... I keep pressing "back" on my iTunes... I keep hitting the left "seek" button on my car stereo face... just so I can get to this line again...

"There are times that I believe I’m satisfied
like an intimate connection
despite this bad reception with you."


...mmm, so true. In fact, I'm pretty sure there have been more than just "times" for me... I'm pretty sure it's been...uh...my WHOLE LIFE. Sure, God and I still have a relationship--we have always had a relationship. That "intimate connection" has been there for quite a while. But the "bad reception"... that's been there too. I try to make it good enough... I try to convince myself that this is "just the way things are for me." As if God doesn't want me to hear Him more...

I can be so complacent. SO satisfied with the "low service areas" of mine and God's chats. Sometimes I drive into those tunnels on purpose... (if I can't make out what He's saying, I'm not accountable to it, right?)

And then sometimes I just pretend. I crinkle a little wrapper in front of my little cowardly mouth to make it sound like..."What was that God? Oh... oh no... You're.. yep, you're breaking up! Uh, sorry, we'll just have to finish this conversation later! Bye!" Click. Off to my life.

(I know, my analogy is dumb... heck, it's what came to mind when I started thinking about "bad reception" though. Welcome to my thought world.)

But me and God--yeah, we're working through stuff. The reception may be bad... and it's probably my fault. But for whatever reason, God is patient with me. He calls back. We have an intimate connection, God and I. We just... I just... it's just... not as satisfactory as I always let myself believe.

Folks, don't settle for bad reception. Switch to verizon.
That's all.

(You can figure out the verizon analogy yourself.)


Peace-

3 comments:

sarah said...

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a friend that NEVER gets annoyed, angry, or upset because of phone static...? Of course, God is that friend...but I can't imagine anyone not getting even the the slightest annoyed by it.

You know, I just realized that because God is God, He can hear through our static...interesting...!

Wendy said...

Jenna Barney, you are fabulous...love your brain...you verbalize things that my brain never even gets around to pondering...such a wonderful role you play in this world...thanks for thinking about things the way you do...and for wanting more of God...your desire for Him is evident in everything you say and do. Love it and love you.

Sarah said...

I'm glad for all this...this you and God stuff..it's good.
love you.